Sunday, July 28, 2013

My Crafty weekend- An update

So I haven't had too much success this weekend with my craftiness.  I spent several hours going to yard sales and didn't find anything I wanted.  That's not true. I saw a chair I wanted desperately but I didn't want to pay what the guy was asking ($35).   I comforted myself by going to Salvation Army in Saugus (which, this is going to sound funny, is very pricey, all things considered).  I found these for $8.99.   I have a minor turtle theme going for my office and these seemed perfect.  I carried them around for awhile and decided since I didn't get anything else, I would get them.

Here they are- no restoration or craftiness needed:

Adorable right?

Oh and by the way, my lack of success had less to do with the quality of the sales I was a attending and more to do with this particular style cramp who didn't want to be left home and made it known vocally. At 7:30 on a Saturday:

I like to think he is avoiding eye contact out of shame for his pitiful behavior.

I do have to make an aside however.  If you are having a yard sale, and you describe it as "epic" on your signs and Craigslist post, please make sure it is in fact "epic."  Otherwise it just leads to bitter disappointment, and no one wants that.

Later, my BFF came over and asked if I wanted to go to Goodwill with her.  I jumped at the chance cause I hadn't been to that Goodwill in a while.   And she has a bigger car than me.   While there I picked up this little gem

The woman wanted to charge me $8 to which I said "hell no" (I have a suitcase budget).  The manager, hearing this, said I could have it for $4.99.  Well under my $5 budget :).  The latches are broken but I think it will make a fantastic kitty bed.  If you look to the left of it in the picture, you see that the other suitcase bed is often occupado.  

After Goodwill BFF suckered me into wanting to go to Homegoods.  On the way there we passed the house that had the chair.  They were packing up and putting everything away (it was after 5).   The chair was still there.  BFF pointed out that I had not shut up about the chair, so we stopped and offered $20, telling the man I'd been thinking about it all day.   He seemed pleased that someone had such passion for it wanted it, so he agreed and helped me load it.   It looks like trash, but to me it is treasure!

I can't wait to get at it with my sander! I have the paint I am going to use already.  I'm going to paint the seat metallic blue and the arms and legs white.  The guy at the yardsale said that was how they originally were, so I'm trying to respect its history.  I can't wait.  Although I've learned that I suck majorly at painting.   I'm hoping practice makes perfect.  Actually I such at painting wood.  The one metal piece I did actually turned out ok:

The first time I tried to paint was the legs of this suitcase table:

You can't tell, but the legs look like crap.  The rest is adorbs, if I do say so myself.

So here's what I attempted yesterday:

I forgot to take a before. Sorry.   I tried something fancy and they kind of look like crap, but I figure it's a learning curve.  I'm still going to use them and I only paid $4 for each of them so I'm not exactly heartbroken.  All in all the weekend has gone well so far.  I will post tonight with any finished products I may have.  I am going to probably do a whole post about the chair when I get to it though, cause I have a feeling that's going to be a beast of a project.  That I am SO EXCITED FOR!


No comments:

Post a Comment